Saturday, March 15, 2008

Disorderly Conduct at OCMA

Overall, very good. Of course I am a sucker for conceptual and politicized work. But I thought they had a reasonable global mix of artists and a fair cross-section of ages.

Hmm, my favorites? Karen Finley's Condoleezza Rice eyes were terrific, I might have enjoyed that the best. I felt like I could be drawn in by the allure of the eyes and then pleasantly slapped in the face once I was informed who it was I was looking at. My only reservations is that I don't think the piece would communicate its message without thestatements. However it did get across its seductive charm which I think was the tantalizing point.

Glenn Kaino's chessboard was also terrific, maybe because I related to the hands. But it was very effective at getting across the idea of how life is a game and we make gestures, sometimes unpleasant, towards those on the other side of our beliefs (or what we think we know).

Of course I am always captivated by the intellectual depth of the work by Daniel Joseph Martinez. And this house has so many layers of meaning to be mined and the physical size of it forces the viewer to find out more and understand! Gee, Kaczynski's house painted by Martha!

Marin Kersel's Pink Constellation was fun and technically fascinating (and of course funny), but I am sorry, I wanted to get more of a point out of it--just me.

I guess I need to mention Mike Kelley: large scale, complex, expensive, richly conceptual, but leaves me a little empty--feeling like I am being visually teased in a contrived sort of way. I guess a little too theatrical for me.

Anyway, that is about it. I enjoyed the show.

--ART

No comments: